Hero Seeking Vigilante


This blog now serves as a historical log of my quest for love. A collection of stories and articles more than blog posts, I hope that it can continue to amuse and entertain beyond it's active lifespan.

An adventurous young computer nerd/ gaming geek travels into the world looking for love in all the wrong places. And posts the terrible terrible consequences right here.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

"Other," is made of PEOPLE!

“Other” is the only reason stated when a female, or (on some lucky days) several females close contact through eHarmony. “Other,” means that the 2 dozen other check boxes just didn’t say “You’re too weird, and I’m too boring” in an appropriate way. But there are still planety of good choices.

“I think the difference between us is too great,” this classic turn down line is check box number 5. Simple but concise, it says “Leave me Alone, Freak” without evoking the amusing emotional response that Freaks are so prone to provide.

“I would rather not say,” is a great one. It leaves you with a whisp of mystery as well as a feeling of inadequacy.

“Based on (Zombie Related) statements in the Profile, I’m not interested in this Match.” This one really seems to fit the bill, but "The Ladies" all choose Option 15, “Other.”

Other is the bubblegum rock chunks in your icecream. It’s there, but if you were really thinking about it, you wouldn’t go for it. “Other,” is just so boring. Like the flavorless gristle tucked into delicious blue icecream. Unoffensive until it's in your mouth. Then you realize: The joke's on you! In a world of relatively substantial turn down checkboxes, choosing “Other,” says “I’m boring!”

Aki and I reached the point of open communication, and I popped "the Question." She is a Radio Sales Coordinator who is into Theater and Science Fiction. She loves her parents (a lot), is ambitious in her career, and cautiously accepting of traditional gender roles. After waiting several days for a response, it came in the form of "closed" message: "Other."
This Zombie screener is working like a charm, though I feel robbed of a potentially amusing response.

To my surprise, I had another closed message waiting for me. A sexy blonde, whose photo showed her hard hat in hand, getting into a massive piece of construction equipment. A woman who operates any machine with legs is a woman that I want to get to know. Or not, apparently. I messaged her a long time ago, and our communication only reached the stage of multiple choice questions. And she fianlly closed it. Is there some slot where other women are putting in feedback? Uh oh. “Other,” strikes again.

However, I do have adventure forth coming. An un-date with Aowynn (to whom I have given an awesome pseudomyn, due to her awesomeness). I met her through OK Cupid, and she is a 26 year old gamer girl. She invited me to meet her at a gamer gathering in La Canada next Saturday. She's very slow to respond to OKCupid mail, so I'm hoping to bump things to AIM (Do you know I actually prefer AIM rather than the phone? I'm such a dork).
Once I get a few more short, content-less emails from her, I'm hoping to accelerate things. Perhaps we could meet at a cozy Coffee place next week, and she can teach me a new game. Or we can play the classic Carcassonne.I have a few reservations about Aowynn however. She is shy, and self proclaimed physically communicative.These are hurdles I have dealt with before, but they don't make things easy. I am physically communicative, but not physically receptive. I need aural affirmation. Also, if she is shy it can make it difficult to get to know her. I doubt that the shy thing will be a big issue since we have a lot in common: a passion for gaming, creativity, and very simple needs. She has strong feelings about both women's rights and gay rights, which is something that appeals to me. I’ll ask some more meaty questions via email, and maybe she’ll continue to neglect to answer them. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home