Hero Seeking Vigilante


This blog now serves as a historical log of my quest for love. A collection of stories and articles more than blog posts, I hope that it can continue to amuse and entertain beyond it's active lifespan.

An adventurous young computer nerd/ gaming geek travels into the world looking for love in all the wrong places. And posts the terrible terrible consequences right here.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Date Review: Aegyptus

Last night I went on a date with the coolest woman that I've met in a long time. We were matched through eHarmony, and she is a pretty big geek, which means we have plenty to talk about. Also she's beautiful.
The date went much better in the beginning than it did at the end.
She is teaching chemistry with Teach for America, and just graduated Yale. She is a Busy Bee.

The evening began with a fun car trip to the French Market Place, a cool unique restaurant in West Hollywood, with famous French Onion Soup. We talked about school and home, and friends. By fortunate happenstance, I pulled into the wrong parking lot, and we came face to face with a bounce house full of fat children. "That's not soup!" I declared. "We could Make them soup," she responed, approximately. Any woman who jokes about eating fat children is A-OK in my book.

As the evening went on however, I became more and more aware that she wasn't all there. She was in fact, at work, at home, and on a date all at the same time. Around 7:30 she started to get Antsy. She is a chem teacher in an inner city school. Her 4 sections have over 40 kids each, and she really cares about her job and her kids. It's a big commitment.
However, throughout the evening she didn't actually seem very interested in me. She didn't ask too many questions of me, and frequently interrupted me when I tried to tell her about myself.
Now, I was in Normal mode. I liked her, and I didn't want to scare her away. Looking back on myself, in a critical fashion (as I am want to do) I can see how I wouldn't stand out. However, it didn't help that she just didn't ask many questions. No questions about my home design, no questions about my writing, no questions about my art, no questions about hobbies. I felt like I was doing all the work.
Which is a shame, because I liked her.
On the other hand, she seems way too busy to have time for me.

I'm willing to take her out one more time. Next time it will be a friday or a saturday. A day of the week where she doesn't have to worry about school in the morning. If she's more relaxed, maybe she'll forget about all the work she has to do.

Though I am loathe to do it, I recall Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. A Book whose original title was "First Impressions." I take my impressions of a super busy, hyper organized, ambitious female, and assume that she has no flexibility, or room for another person in her life. Most likely this complicated, intelligent, attractive, nerdy and musical woman didn't put her best foot forward. A second date will confirm or deny these allegations.

Update, 10/24
Or it won't. Aegyptus Hasn't blocked me from AIM, but she hasn't said more than a sentence to me either. I went as far as to ask her out again, only to be faced by an idle message.
She either has no interest in me, or no time for me. So my quest continues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home